Search

Labor Day Pet Safety Tips

Categories: Featured, pet safety, Seasonal Pet health, Vet Tips

Labor Day Pet Safety tips Broken Arrow OKMany people take this day once a year to celebrate as a tribute to all their hard work over the past year. Many people will gather with friends and families and enjoy games, picnics, and BBQ’s outdoors. As always, our furry family members are included on these holidays! These are some quick Labor Day Pet Safety tips and things to avoid during this time of the year.

The Backyard:

  • Fire Up The Grill!
    • Fat drippings from the grill, and meats; can contain large amounts of oils that could lead to risk for your dog developing pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, intense abdominal pain, and other affects to the organs. This can be life-threatening if left untreated. Try to keep one person assigned to monitoring the grill to be sure the dogs are not licking up that tasty grease.
    • Charcoal: Not poisonous but very upsetting to the stomach when ingested. Commonly this can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetence. Large pieces could even lead to obstruction. (Another great reason to assign a “grill-master.”)
    • Hot! It may seem like common sense, however be sure the grill-master watches out for running dogs to prevent accidentally burn injuries.
  • Lounge Time & Relaxation
    • Tiki Torches: These contain petroleum distillates that are very irritating to the skin and the stomach. The greatest danger occurs when the animal vomits and the liquid can slide into the lungs (aspiration). This could immediately cause coughing/wheezing, choking and even sudden death. If left untreated, this could be very dangerous and could cause a chemical pneumonia. If on the skin, wash quickly with a dish soap to prevent further irritation.
    • Bug Sprays: Most brands have a fairly low toxic risk when ingested or applied to the skin. Some of these products may cause mild irritation to the skin of sensitive pets and bathing with dish soap is a quick way to remove the spray. Products with high concentrations DEET can cause toxicity following heavy application or ingestion.. Stand away from your pets while applying the spray to avoid getting it in their eyes or nose/mouth and keep the containers out of reach. Be extra careful to keep pressurized canisters away from dogs. If they puncture them with their teeth, not only may poisoning ensue, but this can result in very damaging pressure injuries in the mouth and throat.

Read more about Labor Day Pet Safety Tips at http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com

Related Posts:

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Adopt a Pet