As dedicated pet owners, we all want what’s best for our pets. We make sure that they are properly groomed, well fed and loved. That is why whenever a pet family member becomes sick or injured, we want to make them feel better the soonest time possible, even if it means giving those medications straight from your home medicine cabinet. But did you know that giving pets human medications is not such a good idea? In fact, it could only cause more problem for your pets. Unless advised by your veterinarians, make sure these drugs are kept safely and out of reach for your pets in Broken Arrow:
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories). Ibuprofen and naproxen meds such as Motrin, Aleve, Naprosyn and Advil.
- Tylenol and other acetaminophen related drugs.
- Sleep aids such as Xanax, Lunesta and Ambien.
- Cholesterol drugs like Crestor and Lipitor.
- Antidepressants such as Cymbalta and Prozac.
- Thyroid drugs
- Cholesterol drugs or commonly termed as “statins”
- Birth control pills
- ACE inhibitors and other group of blood pressure medications.
- ADD or ADHD medications such as Concerta, Ritalin or Adderall
Below are some of the scenarios you might reconsider when placing human medications at home:
- Leaving a bottle of headache pills on the bedside table.
- Leaving bottles of prescription medication out on the table.
- Unknowingly dropping pills on the floor.
- Storing medications on areas accessible for your pets.
Improperly stored medicines and drugs can be fatal not just for your child but for pets as well. Ingestion of these drugs can cause damage on your pet’s health such as vomiting, gastrointestinal problem, and other serious health problems like intestinal ulcer, kidney failure and even possible death. If you believe your pet has ingested, swallowed or chewed any of these drugs, seek immediate veterinary care from your Broken Arrow veterinarian or contact your local pet poison control immediately.