Search

Halloween Pet Safety Tips

Categories: Featured, pet safety, Seasonal Pet health

Halloween can be a fun-filled event for families and their pets. Who doesn’t love a pet in a costume? Or those decorations and treats that are too pleasing to the eye? However, if safety precautions are not taken in consideration, Halloween could be a hazardous time for your four-legged companions. Broken Arrow veterinarians advised every pet owners to take extra precautionary measures before, during and even after the Halloween season.

You may love to see your pet wearing cute costumes and neck ties. However, your pet may feel differently and could cause them to feel stressed or worse, may feel strangled or choked. The following Halloween pet safety tips can help you and your pet. Check out the list of other things you may need to be aware of so that you and your pet can have a fun-filled and safe Halloween celebration.

Halloween Pet Safety Tips for Pet Owners

Halloween pet safety tips Broken Arrow OKAttention, animal lovers, it’s almost the spookiest night of the year! The ASPCA recommends taking some common sense precautions this Halloween to keep you and your pet saying “trick or treat!” all the way to November 1.

  1. No tricks, no treats: That bowl of candy is for trick-or-treaters, not for Scruffy and Fluffy. Chocolate in all forms—especially dark or baking chocolate—can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also cause problems. If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
  2. Popular Halloween plants such as pumpkins and decorative corn are considered to be relatively nontoxic, but they can produce stomach upset in pets who nibble on them.
  3. 3. Wires and cords from electric lights and other decorations should be kept out of reach of your pets. If chewed, your pet might suffer cuts or burns, or receive a possibly life-threatening electrical shock.4. A carved pumpkin certainly is festive, but do exercise caution if you choose to add a candle. Pets can easily knock a lit pumpkin over and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned or singed by candle flames.

Read more at aspca.org

Related Posts:

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Adopt a Pet