Search

10 Tips for Keeping Your Home Flea-Free

Categories: Dog Health Care

Fleas Broken Arrow

© pattie – Fotolia.com

Fleas have actually been around ever since, irritating our animals and invading our homes in Broken Arrow, OK. They are smart tiny critters that can endure nearly anywhere. They eat sparingly, move silently and recreate boldy. Above all, these little critters may also harm our pet’s health. And that’s not a very good news at all.

However below’s the good news: We can win the flea fight! There are medicines available that interrupt the flea life cycle and are safe, reliable, and simple to make use of.

Pet owners ought to value how simple it is to manage fleas now, especially those who remember exactly how difficult the battle against fleas has been. When I began my occupation as a Broken Arrow veterinarian, animal owners had to spray their canines with topical chemicals every day, dip them in watered down insecticides weekly, apply chemicals to their lawns, and use foggers in their the homes of keep fleas at bay. Exactly what a mess!

Although we have excellent flea control items, we cannot let down our guard. Fleas will always be with us, so here are a few additional ideas for winning the flea fight:.

1. Become an informed pet dog owner. Make the effort to discover the unclean reality about fleas. Think about these awkward truths from SentinelPet.com:

A) Visible grownup fleas represent only 5 percent of the flea populace. The other 95 percent hide in your house in the form of eggs, maggotlike larvae, and pupae.

B) A female flea can lay up to 50 eggs a day.

C) Larvae are driven away by light and burrow into the cracks and crevasses of your home in flooring and upholstery, where they can continue to be for months.

2. Discover the signs. Flea bites have specific unique characteristics. The bite could instantly trigger a pet dog to feel exceptionally itchy. Within 30 minutes of a bite, they could develop a red bump. Secondary infections triggered by scratching are also common.

3. Deal with the flea bites. Wash the bites with antibacterial soap, as advised by your vet, to decrease the threat of infection.

4. Eliminate fleas in all stages. The flea life cycle consists of grownups, eggs, larvae (maggots), and pupae (the cocoon stage). Typical pesticides do not remove the pupae. Usage an insect development regulator to break the flea life process– my choice here is Sentinel’s (milbemycin oxime/lufenuron) Flavor Tabs, however your vet can provide referrals also.

5. Do away with stray fleas. If your canine gets a “hitchhiker” flea while outdoors, use an adulticide medication that eliminates adult fleas. Talk with your veterinarian about the best item for your pet.

6. Frequently examine your pet dog for fleas. Don’t wait till you see your pet dog scratching. Frequent brushing will assist spread out natural safety oils over your animal’s coat, reduce shedding, and give you an opportunity to look for fleas.

7. Avoid problem areas. Keep your pet far from locations understood to have flea issues. Unsure if the local park is safe? Do your homework to ensure the local dog park has a good flea control program.

8. Groom the lawn. Don’t simply inspect your dog for fleas– treat his environment too. Eliminate underbrush from trees, and rake leaves where fleas and ticks might prowl. When spraying the lawn for fleas, concentrate on the areas where your animal spends most of his time. Eggs and larvae will likely be shed in the spots where he lies down.

9. Eradicate the home. In-home elimination should look at upholstered furnishings, rugs, and carpets. Vacuum all floors prior to house therapy and contact your professional pest control specialist to see when it is best to vacuum following therapy. If your pet sleeps in your bed, wash sheets and pillow cases in hot water and regular laundry detergent. Vacuum the mattress and consider buying brand-new pillows.

10. Usage year-round preventive care. Waiting too long to make use of preventative treatments before flea and tick season occurs could be dangerous for your canine. Protect your canine year-round to stay clear of an infestation. Ask your Broken Arrow veterinarian about which brand is the best for your dog and make certain to read the label carefully prior to administering the medication.

Related Posts:

About the Author

Kreg Atterberry is a writer of veterinary articles and the owner of Veterinary Marketing Done For You, a veterinary marketing company helping veterinary clinics and animal hospitals get found and dominate their local online searches.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Adopt a Pet